2 edits done a few weeks apart

It’s amazing the difference time makes… and how your vision and memory of a shoot changes over that time.

I was going to re-edit a photo I really like, and perhaps blend an earlier shot just after blue hour, in which the mountains were night a tack sharp (in the single image, the distant hills on the left feel too soft) but in the end, the colour difference just made that too much like hard work and it felt artificial… So I went back to editing the single image. But from scratch, without referring back to the one I did shortly after the shoot.

Today’s end result is less colourful (perhaps less so that the moon glow on the cloud actually was at the time).

This year is the first time I’ve done twilight astro and the purple and pink hues are just lovely. The moon rising with the clouds also gives a somewhat sunset type feel; but with stars.

This could be the start of new passion for me as astro in the UK is so tricky with weather spoiling play. But with the opportunity of shooting outside of new-moon, my chances will be greatly improved.

Any how… the core question here is which edit do people prefer? And what critique might you give. There is one area I’m not happy with, but haven’t figured out how to fix it - but I shall await everyone’s thoughts.

What technical feedback would you like if any? All / Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Both are the same, single raw file. 8 seconds, f2.8, ISO3200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Both are lovely. The mood captured is very nice.

I prefer the first version. The lighting presented seems to match the mood and scene better than the second. The one thing I’d like in the first is a bit more light on the mountains. Much like the light on the mountains in the second. I also think with just a bit of work more stars could be visible in the first version which would add just a bit to this fine image.

Vikki, I prefer the first version because of the mood presented. Great images and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi @vikki.

Choosing from one of the two its not easy. I lime the mood and colours of the first one, especially that cooler tone. The second one as a nice glow to it, and those stars are just gorgeous, but it seam a bit more noisier and there’s a patch on the LRC (artifact maybe?) that pulls the eyes little and distracts.

So i would go for the first one if in doubt, thanks for sharing.
Cheers

1 Like

This is a bit difficult because each has its strong points. I like the second one for the richness in detail that is lost in the first by making it darker. The blues are nice in the first image. I feel that if you could add more color to the second image it would be a good choice. Although from a certain vantage point the subdued colors are fine. Strong colors are always convincing and preferable to many.

1 Like

Reworked the second image slightly with some of the feedback

3 Likes

Isn’t tweaking an excellent image fun? I like all three versions, but prefer what you have done in the third per @Igor_Doncov’s suggestion. I think the noise is due to the long exposure to capture the stars, and I’m OK with it. A message here is that much can be done to create differing moods an excellent image. Can you share the shutter speed and ISO for this one? Thanks.

1 Like

Your third image is the winner for me. I love the rich colors and luminosity.

1 Like

Hi @vikki, a really great shot. I love composition and tones. After rework, it’s superb. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Repost is the clear winner for me. You got the best of the first two in it.

1 Like

Thanks @Larry_Greenbaum.

They’re all the same raw file f2.8 8” and iso3200. I was planning to stack lots of images so was ok with just the 8 seconds, but in the end just processed the single file. Stacking blurred the clouds out a bit too much for my liking.

Thanks everyone. I’m happy with the final image… as you say, the best of both of my separate edits.

Vicki,

I know it’s late and you’re already made edits - so you can take my comment wagos (just made this up, “with a grain of salt.” :wink:

I prefer the second one with some edits. Love the color, especially the reflection/ice and stars I think show better. My only comment about the second, and for sure the final repost, is that I think the warm, orange colors are too much - for what the scene is in front of you. I know I’m being technically picky, the on the one hand it looks like the sun just went down, but there they, the stars.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a gorgeous image and I hope you plan on hanging this one. And what an experience to watch it all unfold.

Lon

1 Like

Both excellent - I can see these on 2 different walls easily!

1 Like

What a pleasing, perfect image. I love what you were able to do this at twilight scene with the best of both worlds…stars and lovely twilight colors. I really like this reworked second image and can’t think of anything I would change.

1 Like

Thanks @Kathy_Barnhart