A Bit of a Stretch

I haven’t seen this bird in my area before. At first I thought it was a Sandpiper but the coloring was wrong. After searching online I’ve come to the conclusion that it is a Marbled Godwit despite the fact that none of the information shows it as being common to South Central Alaska. I got quite a few photos but I liked this one because it shows much more of the wing feathers that i thought might help identify it. Any help in identification would be appreciated!

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 594mm, ISO-320, f/6.3, 1/4000, hand held.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Yes, a very nice look at a marbled godwit. The pose is perfect and the colors of the wing feathers work out nicely for your photo. Bg is busy, but does not distract the viewer’s eye. Well done…Jim

Gary, I wouldn’t have been able to help ID him, so glad Jim was. It is a nice look at him. I like the wing stretch too. I also like that the BG behind his head is more out of focus, so it helps eliminate distractions from the eye. Great details.

A nice pose, Gary, but it’s that fantastic light on the bird that makes this image for me. I love it.

Thank you for the identity confirmation on this Jim. We get a lot of waders on the tide flats here but this is a first for me!

Excellent light, color, and detail. The depth of field is perfect.