A Glimpse of Gold

A couple of times a year, when the angle of the rising sun is just right in relation to our house, the eastern slope of Thumb Butte turns gold. The effect is extremely short-lived - under a minute - and, because it happens very early in the morning, I often wonder how many people have seen it.

Is this a composite: No
D 500. Sigma @ 140mm. 1/500 @ f/6.7. 1100 ISO

1 Like

I’m glad that you were able to capture this for others to see, it’s an impressive sight. The very stark, high contrast processing is what we typically expect to see in B&W images, but man does this contrast work well in color with this image. You have boiled this down to the essence of the moment, its all about light and shadow, and blue and gold. It’s simple, and very effective, well done.

Just out of curiosity, where is Thumb Butte located?

Thumb Butte is the dominant natural feature of Prescott, AZ.
I enjoyed your comments.

Intrinsicate@mac.com
www.intrinsic8.com

A nice thing to be able to capture. Of course it’s all artist’s choice, but I have to say my preference would be for a little less contrast, which would calm down the colors just a bit. I wouldn’t mind a bit of detail in the dark shadow (just a hint) and a slightly lighter sky.

If the high contrast processing was to bring down an overexposure of the sunlit area, it could be dealt with without so much contrast in the sky and dark FG.