A Young Alaska Griz

This is one of a series of photos that I took of this bear as well as his family. There were three youngsters, all in their second year, and their mamma. These bears will be on their own the following Spring. The white collar around it’s neck is what’s called a natal collar. It will fade in times, usually after it’s third year. The collar is not uncommon, but it’s something that makes the bears somewhat unique. His legs were crossed as he was getting ready to walk to his right. He also has some “seaweed” on his face from going under the water to catch fish.

I photographed this bear family at the Kenai River in Alaska while guiding a workshop group. I wasn’t much of a wildlife photographer before I went to Alaska to be honest. But Alaska has changed my mind.

I don’t have a huge investment in optics. I use a 150-600 Tamron G2 and a Nikon D850 for the animals and I’m not disappointed at all.

Technical Details

Composite: No
Nikon D850, Tamron 150-600 G2
600mm - 1/250 sec hand held w/VC - -f/6.3 - ISO 800

2 Likes

Quite charming and disarming which really softens the image quite a bit - I’ve only been in the presence of a wild grizzly once, but there’s nothing like that experience to put you right at the bottom of the food chain! That and sharks. Interesting about the natal collar. Reminds me of the spots young deer have that will fade with their first winter molt.

1 Like

I love the crossed legs, Gary. This is a wonderful environmental of a Grizzly. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

We love Alaska and hanging out with he bears. We’ve only been concerned once and it turned out to be fine. The bears had no interest in us… thank fully. :slight_smile: You just have to be familiar with the area that you’re in and bear behavior. Choosing the right time of the year helps to minimize risk as well.

Thank you David. He’s a pretty bear.