Abyss

I stepped onto the ice cautiously so as not to disturb the delicate ice crystals. The sound of ice cracking echoed in my ears but it came from down river or at least that’s what I told myself. My heart quickened upon seeing this alien looking formation under the ice with outstretched tentacles. I was drawn to the otherworldly shapes and contrast against the clusters of ice. I raised my camera with 18mm prime lens out in front of me as far as possible to photograph this scene before the morning sun would erase this fleeting arrangement of ice.

There are so many ways to interpret small scenes like this which is why I love discovering and photographing them. Will this creature from the dark abyss prevail against the colonies as represented by the ice crystals? Or perhaps you see some type of malignant cell being attacked by antibodies? What stirs in your imagination when viewing either image? And by the way, it’s perfectly ok just to see this more literally as nature just being nature.

Technical Details

Composite: No

2 Likes

Oh wow, this is incredible. Well seen, Alfredo. the organic nature of the cracks just draws me into the image. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Many thanks David!

You had me on the edge of my chair with the cracking ice description! This has a vaguely creepy feeling to me - the dark body is reaching out with its tentacles. The cool-ish tone adds to the feeling. At the same time, it’s a very cool natural phenomenon.

1 Like

Back in December, I had picked up a digital camera for the first time in a few years. It was thought, at the time, that I would be transitioning away from film and back to a digital setup. During those unfortunate few months, I had come across a handful of ice fractures such as this, and I had made some photographs of them, as they reminded me heavily of trees and the like. Turns out, I’m not alone in my enjoyment of them. I’m quite excited for the winter season to be upon us again, as I wish to photograph some of these with my film camera, now that I am back in my element with it.

I especially love all the ice crystals which surround this fracture. It brings along almost a sense of delicacy to the image, like that of stars being sucked into a black hole as it expands in the upper limits of the universe. Or, as you mention, a dark opening from which a monster may come through; very reminiscent of the TV show, Stranger Things.

1 Like

Thank you Bonnie! Happy to hear it.

Thank you Cody! Since moving to Colorado in late 2019, I’m finding that I love photographing winter and discovering scenes like this.

I’m thinking “slime mould” feasting on grated cheese? Slime mould are a fascinating type of amoeba known to be able to learn without having neurons nor brains, as they are single-celled organisms… More seriously, my first thought was:" “a fine example of li”, a Chinese concept that refers to archetypal patterns of energy that are visible at the microcosmic and macrocosmic levels, both in living as well as in inanimate matter (my loose definition here). It’s a beautiful and striking image that sparks the imagination. Nicely seen and processed in BW!

1 Like

Such a wonderful response and description Laura! Thanks so much! I learned some new things.

Alfredo, thanks so much for sharing this otherworldly image. You’re right, it looks like something straight out of a Sci-Fi movie. Or dare I say some sort of virus?

1 Like

Thank you David! Let’s hope the virus gets eradicated. :grinning:

1 Like