Ace

What technical feedback would you like if any?

the settings seem off but produced the least amount of noise and the greatest detail in my opinion, what could I have done different ? would a different lens made a difference for the better ? or post processing could have been better ?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details

D3400, ISO 200, f/11, 1/4 sec, 35mm , one studio light on a very overcast day

:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Michael, these type of table top, setup, or in studio takes can be challenging unless done more then a few times. This is a fine take IMO. The only thing of notice to me is the slight difference in the counter top? BG from top to bottom. Noticeable more on the mid to lower right side. Not sure if that was inconsistent lighting or just change in the BG color at that point. Regardless, this works fine just as it is presented…:+1:

btw: I’m intrigued by the subject and the provenance surrounding it if you happen to know. I had a relative who was a decorated Spitfire pilot during the evacuation from Dunkirk…:sunglasses:

Thank you Paul “I notice the BG also and it was a older pc of sheet metal and I thought it added to the subject of the photo”

My Grandfather flew for the VF-17 off the USS HORNET in the Pacific theater during WWII. I have his log book, he shot down five planes, 3 one day and two more shortly after , He rec. 3 Distinguished crosses, the two stars represent the other two and he rec. numerous other Medals. He also flew Panthers in Korea and for Air America in Vietnam where he was shot down and killed. I’m very proud to be his Grandson. Thats the Readers Digest version :slight_smile:

Michael, thank you for sharing this heroic story about your Grandfather. As a veteran myself I can only say from this information he served his country and his family well. Even though a tragic ending to his flying career it is an honor to know his story can be told and shared with others.
A big salute goes out to your late grandfather for his dedication to protect us all during those many wars…:+1:

The short story I have on my relative was only during WWII and he too received honorable citations for his heroic duty during the evacuation of Dunkirk flying for the RAF in a Spitfire. He flew one of the last flights to leave Dunkirk defending the position long enough for many to evacuate safely. His last flight out he took the air squadrons mascot dog in the cockpit with him…:bone:

thank you Paul, your story adds new meaning to Dog Fight … great story

1 Like

A very artistically composed image and a great story to go with it, Michael. I’m not sure what you could have done differently. Obviously a straight down shot would have maximized your depth of field, but this angle, I think, gives it a better look than the straight down shot would have. Sharpness seems quite good throughout, so I’d be happy with this version.

thanks Dennis, I haven’t researched the “how too” on this type of photo and was wondering if it was tec. correct or not … it looked good to me but that doesn’t mean its good , just that I like it. I guess macro is macro no different than shooting flowers.

Thanks again
Mike