Acer palmatum (Japanese maple)

The tesselation is from a single image, cropped, rotated, and pasted together several times over.

Technical Details

Composite: Yes

3 Likes

This is so creative. I can sort of see what’s the repeating element, but sometimes I lose it. I assume you do this in Photoshop. I’ve never even thought of doing this, never mind attempted it. The single, off-color leaf is a nice touch.

1 Like

I think this is wonderful. First and foremost, the chiaroscuro - the way the dark defines the light - is so evocative. Then there is, for me, the humour of the one orange leaf that breaks the perfect symmetry and reminds me that there is no perfection (wabi-sabi). Great image, beautifully conceived and executed.

Thanks Kris,

Done in Photoshop, yes. The process begins with cropping a single element (that may include several leaves, or whatever). Then do all the B&W, contrast, yada, yada, yada. Then you lay out a big blank canvas. Copy the single element, and paste it onto the canvas.

Now, flip the element, copy, then past onto the canvas and slide it into place beside, or above, the first - and so on, and so on, and so on - clicking the puzzle together. Not hard cause you are doing the same thing over and over. The color in the leaf is added last.

It’s a lot of fun and you go by the seat of your pants until you get something you like, or you become so frustrated that you erase the file and hit the wine.

Start with just with one flip. Well, maybe start with the glass of wine.

1 Like

Thanks Kerry,

I’m glad you like the image. They are enjoyable because you start, but never know where you’re going to end up. You just keep going until you like the results.

The orange leaf is the hanging thread - no perfection except god - of Navaho blankets. It also allows the soul to escape. It usually leads me to a new tessellation.

Your experimentation (or did you have a certain plan when you started?) and creativity really paid off on this eye catching creation Paul - love the single leaf stand-out as well!