Acorn Bath

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I grabbed my camera when I saw an acorn woodpecker in our birdbath and soon another one joined in. Nice past-time on a hot day.

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/3200th, f 9.0, cropped to 4348 x 3446

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Great bathing action on what’s been a hot week around here and hotter in California. The whites on the woodpeckers look like they’re blown, but that’s not too surprising given the large contrast in these birds. I’m curious as to what exposure mode you’re using on the Z9 and whether you’ve turned on the overexposure warning (called zebra stripes on the Sony, not sure of the Nikon terminology)?

On another note, Images of critters with obviously human environments are preferred in the Everything Else forum. If you’d like, I can move this one there.

I do not have any warning patterns turned on with my Z9. I shoot then load the images in LR then tweak the lights and darks as needed according to LR’s histogram. and yes, please transfer this to the proper category. I will try to remember to post to the appropriate category in the future. Thanks.

Hi Dave. I’d check your menu or manual or do a quick search online. It’s a real life saver for highlights to turn on the warning. It does work off a jpeg version of the image, just as the in-camera histogram does, so you can get a little bit of it. I usually dial the exposure down until the warning just goes away, then boost it up 1/3-2/3 of a stop, knowing that the raw file will give me at least that much leeway.

Looks like kids in the old swimming hole Dave. Nice action. It is pretty bright in spots.