Aeolian - Soft Light on Sand Dunes

Some soft light on Mesquite Dunes from @Alex_Noriega and I’s workshop in Death Valley back in February.

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques. (If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn):

• I focus stacked this image due to the long focal length in relation to how close the feature was, and not wanting to stop down due to wind.
• ISO 64
• f/11
• 400mm
• 1/25s
• Good friends and good times

3 Likes

This is so good. I love it so much. And I’m not just saying that because you’re my friend and business partner. I’m saying it because it’s good and I love it. So clean and pure.

2 Likes

Like how my soul felt on that trip. Good times. Looking forward to seeing you there in November even though we live right by each other! Tacos?

Thanks buddy buddy.

TJ,

Just gorgeous! A very fine image - a word my Mother despised… fine, as in mediocre, “just ok,” etc. Well, let me just append the definition and say Fine Art. Hopefully that elevates it significantly…

I love the restrained contrast here and the lean towards high-key; makes this dune image stand out. Beautifully done.

Lon

Woah, so good man! A unique take on the typical warm high contrast dune abstract. The more I look at this, the more interesting I find the shadows. Highlights normally shape and define an image but here its the shadows that draw the eye and create the composition.

Nice one TJ! Love the whiteness of it. White is right… jk. But in this case, it is for sure, feels so clean like AN said above. I hate when sand dunes are processed with heavy contrast, they look all dirty and dingy.

clean, fine, delicate. so simple, yet full of various details and subtle transitions. great shot!

Sorry for the delayed replies!

Thanks @Lon_Overacker… that means a lot. I have a collection of photos in the works from my winter travels earlier this year and for some reason I’m leaning in the high-key direction with most of them. My style seems to be taking that turn lately.

I like that you noticed that @Michael_McGee! Thanks for the kind words.

Dunes are so much fun to play with… you can take them in so many different directions, unlike a lot of nature photos. Just something about the way the light plays and the neutral color palette gives that latitude. Thanks buddy @Eric_Bennett.

Thank you @Stefan-Condik!

Back
Forward