Ah Wilderness + rework

Rework:

Original:

Is there a place in the U.S. where wilderness can be experienced to a greater level than Alaska? I know not of one.

When I first made my way to this area this summer I was somewhat miffed by the presence of this canoe. It seemed to block my view of a spectacle of nature. However, as time went by I embraced it and even welcomed it. It’s presence and even it’s colors seemed to represent the mystic wildness of the place, especially on those rainy days. In a way it became a symbol of the area for me. In addition, it was the only image I made here that I felt was not a cliche. This shot was made when the rain had stopped and the sky was opening up again.

GFX50R, 45-100mm

So what do you think? Does this smell of wilderness?

You will notice a small black rock protruding out of the bright reflections of the water. I decided to not clone it out. Do you agree or disagree?

2 Likes

Looks like there is some haloing in this version. My apologies. I removed it from a version that I ended up not liking but not this version. Will fix that at earliest opportunity.

I would never guess this was an Alaska wilderness image, Igor. So to answer your question, does this smell of wilderness, yes but not Alaska wilderness. You did well not to capture the Cliched images that one expects from an Alaskan vacation.
The canoe is a tremendous bonus. It just fits. I love images with canoes and kayaks. I think it adds a human element even though there is no human in the scene. In this image, it also balances the scene although in the smaller thumbnail I find that the left side of the image is heavy compared to the right side. However, when I view it large, that feeling goes away. I have no idea why. Interesting. As for the small rock, it has no meaning at all for me but it could be a topic of discussion if it has meaning to you. If not, I would clone it out although I have to say it doesn’t bother me at all. I kind of like the placement in the cloudy reflection. I would clone out the white paper cup or whatever that bright spot is on the canoe dead center. I’m also wondering what the bright spot is at the end of the lake? A house, a boat? There is tremendous mood to this image imparted mostly by the sky and the clouds but also by the canoe. I bet that canoe has a couple of stories to tell.

Good eye on the white object by the canoe. I didn’t notice it. The bright spot at the end of the lake is a gap between the two large mountains. The body of water you are seeing is a very small portion of a very large lake that’s behind the gap. The gap is about a mile away but there is no trail to it so you would have to bushwack to it. Hunters tell me that caribou graze there with impunity.I have a ‘postcard’ grand landscape type of image from the area which I think I will share.

I smell wilderness. I think it works with the rock left in–an interesting detail. I like how the canoe, lake, and mountains all “point” toward the middle of the frame. Nice color palette with the greens and blues.

Id like to see that postcard image!

A place out of my reach, It doesn’t smell like wilderness to me. More as a want to be place , to explore with my canoe and camera. Well made without that paper cup David pointed out. The small rock is maybe an extra .A fine image , Igor.

1 Like

Igor,

The canoe absolutely makes this image. Compositionally, without the canoe the image would be unbalanced - forgetting for a second the “wildness” component you’re expressing. The canoe, both in it’s position and the colors, are key to a harmonized landscape image.

I particularly like the elongated reflection giving the classic landscape perspective a little diversity from the classic reflection landscape image.

This does speak (or smell?) of wildness to me. However, it doesn’t scream Alaska. Of course though that’s not relevent relative to your question of wildness. The canoe does speak to the concept of early exploration of the wilderness…

Lon

@Ben_van_der_Sande, @Lon_Overacker, @DeanRoyer

Thank you for your comments. By wilderness I meant a real wilderness experience rather than, say, a chartered float down the Colorado River.

I have removed the paper looking object and the halo of the mountain tops as well. Even highly magnified I could not tell what that was. Something likely blew to the side of the canoe and the rain plastered it to the point of unrecognition.

I actually thought of getting into the canoe and paddling out to the gap where the lake trout are reported to be numerous. The only problem was that the owner wisely had taken the paddles with him. The canoe looked like it had been fiberglass patched up in a few places so who knows if it didn’t leak. The fact that it was left there for later usage attested to how remote this place is. Hope it stays that way.

First, this is an outstanding photo, aesthetically speaking. The blue canoe is conversing with the the blue water - they are friends. The presence of the canoe makes this not-quite-wilderness, but I get your idea about the chartered trips.

What I REALLY like is the light. I can’t articulate why, but the quality of that flat light (in northern environments?) gives such a distinctive mood. I’m totally drawn to it.

Great shot. I would have been tempted to flip that canoe over and float it in the centre of that pond. Nice work.