Alpine Bliss

Actually my focus on this visit to the Snowy Range (WY) was to try out a new star tracker. Fortunately, the weather was looking quite promising for decent clouds at sunset. An additional bonus was the fall color change that was well underway; providing my first 2018 fall color image! Instead of golden aspens, fireweed was showing off its brilliant color. Although this image appears relatively straightforward as far as processing, the dynamic range was quite extreme. Thus, I created a virtual copy in Lightroom to control the sky luminance and blended that with the land base image in Photoshop.
Oh, and yea, a nice Milky Way image at this location is forthcoming. Great night for sure!

4 Likes

I love this place so much and you definitely did it justice for fall colors. Can’t wait to see the Milky Way shot.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning Ken, one of my favorite spots but I haven’t been in fall, beautiful! You pulled off the sunset shot very well, the processing looks very natural for what I know is an extremely challenging scene.

1 Like

Thanks, Jason. Some of my best images I been up at the “Range.” I might be able to include the Milky Way image up there as one of them!
:wink:

1 Like

I appreciate the comments, David. I certainly was concerned about overprocessing this image. Cheers!

Really like the vibrance and brightness of this.

1 Like

Thanks, appreciate the comments!

You know a photograph is good when you can’t come up with any words to describe it. I’ve never seen this location in person, but somehow you’ve transported me there. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Well stated and much appreciated, Ryan!

1 Like

Hey Ken,
Great comp, great processing…earns an “A+” from me.

Jim

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful. Love the comp.

2 Likes

I think this is absolutely stunning, Ken! Wonderful in every respect.

2 Likes

Ken, these are the kind of conditions that we live for, and you absolutely nailed it. The light hand on the processing really lets those subtle fall colors stand out. Your use of of strong diagonal lines is extremely effective here. Can’t wait to see the Milky Way image…

Thanks, Ed! Appreciate your comments!

A beautiful view and an exceptional capture and processing. The composition is nicely balanced , the exposure is excellent and the processing is very real. I love the sense of presence in the large version. It puts you right there in the scene. I don’t think those red leaved plants are Fireweed though. The leaves are wrong and there is no stalk at the top where the flowers bloom, plus I’ve never seen the leaves of Fireweed plants turn this red.

Thanks Gary, for providing your in depth comments. It’s always beneficial to hear other perspectives.
Cheers