An African Malachite Kingfisher - Jewel in the conservation crown of sub-Saharan Africa

A jewel of the African bush. The Malachite Kingfisher perches on a reed, in the spotlight of the last rays of sunshine, contemplating the possibility of a meal as the sun set below the western horizon…:slightly_smiling_face:
The African bush is not just about the Big Five…It overflows with beauty and masses of little stuff which makes it so rich in diversity…:slightly_smiling_face:
If you open your awareness, the beauty abounds all around :blush::blush::blush:

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques to help others.

2 Likes

Gorgeous photo of this kingfisher Tim. The lighting and composition are wonderful. Thanks for sharing it here.

1 Like

What a beauty. I copy Linda: “Gorgeous.” Is that papyrus?

Outstanding light and detail.

Hi Jim. Yes… There is masses of it along the waterways of the Okavango Delta ( Botswana) which is a World Heritage Area and a massive swamp which is fed, not by local precipitation (Only about 12% local) but by the waters of the annual flood from the highlands of Angola…

There has been a severe drought for the last number of years, but that has changed with this year’s push from Angola, which had two separate, big floods… The Delta is back to its verdant green and lots of water…

Such a pity that we are in full lock down in sub-Saharan Africa, but as soon as we are cleared to move, we have a cool trip planned to get back there… We just love that place :slight_smile:

Thanks Ed… They are gorgeous birds :slight_smile:

Hi Jim. Yes…Masses of it around the Delata

We just watched a series on Disney channel about Okavango. What a beautiful place. I envy you being able to experience it.

Another great capture of a beautiful bird we don’t get to see here in North America. Thanks for sharing, Tim.

Love this bird and the lighting is so beautiful. We have them here, in a river near my home however they are so fast I only have a few photos of them and none as brilliant as yours, nice.

1 Like