An Exercise in Simplification w/Rework

Rework with suggested changes

Original Post

This has been, for me, a fascinating process for this image. I started out with the original image. It is two fallen trees with a lot of foliage in between:

But I realized that it was too busy and wanted to focus in on the foliage:

But that still wasn’t quite right, so I tried to crop in further:

That was close, but the trees were taking my eye away from the foliage so another crop resulted in this:

While I wasted a lot of pixels, I think I got what drew me to the scene in the first place.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts appreciated.

Technical Details

110mm, 0.5 sec @ f/2.8, ISO 100

1 Like

David, I think that ICM sometimes can lead to wasting pixels. Since we do not really know what the end result is until we see the image, I take that as part of making ICM images.

I like your photo and colors. The image gives me a sense of calming fluidity. That’s very nice. I like the end result you chose because the foliage is really quite evident in those hues of green. The light tones in the ULC and LLC cause my eyes to wander a bit. Perhaps burning the tree color in the ULC a bit would eliminate that distraction I experience. This is beautiful and looks like a river of greens.

I like the colors in this image very much. I agree with Egidio that your photo has a calming flow. I also agree that the ULC seems a little bright. I keep being drawn to that area. I like the lighter LLC. I think it blends in with the image very well. I’m very interested in trying ICM sometime soon, but I don’t want to take on too many photography categorizes until I get comfortable with the ones I’m doing now. Good job on this ICM image.

Great exercise, David. Just enough movement to create energy, textures, detail, a wonderful array of greens and not totally blurred out. I prefer you last revision, and do agree with the general consensus about the ULC light spot. Very nicely seen and captured.

Thank you, @Egídio, @Donna_Callais, and @linda_mellor for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated. I’ve posted a rework up above.

Cheers,
David

David, you are welcome. I love the reworked image. I find it more fluid as the colors seamlessly blend from one side of the image to the other without having the darker brown in the ULC as in the original post.

1 Like

The rework is perfect. Toned down just enough to keep from drawing attention to that area.

2 Likes

David, it was great seeing the progression of the image as you refined the composition and your thought process behind each iteration. The final result looks nicely balanced to me. I enjoyed the weaving pattern in the final result.

1 Like

Wow David, the progression you made in the development of the final image is impressive. Thanks for providing how you came upon your final decision. I think you chose wisely. The last edits work beautifully.

As with most ICM’s, I love the color possibilities, lines, patterns, etc. This is no exception.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you, @Egídio, @Donna_Callais, @Alfredo_Mora, and @Lon_Overacker for the nice comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
David

1 Like