Ancient History

Early morning rise with the sun on a fall crisp morning, walking quietly through protected lands where only scattered plants and trees of the most hardy variety can survive in this rocky landscape. The scene evoked only minimal whispers between photographers.

Specific Feedback Requested

Is this really abstract? If not, why not? If yes, what sort of curiosity comes up for you?

Technical Details

Pentax K-20 D; DA* 2.8 200mm lens, 1/30 sec, f11, ISO 400

Hi Deb, the lines between small scenes and abstracts can sometimes be blurred. When I think of abstracts, ambiguity of subject comes first in my mind. Others will have their own definitions. Does your image fall into abstract territory? I would say yes. This could very well be a small section of fabric, rolling hills, some exotic animal pattern, etc. The combination of lines, shapes, and color all work together here. Well done!

1 Like

Nice image here. I don’t really see it as an abstract myself, but I also look at a lot of images and have seen this hillside before. It’s a nice rendition of that scene. The color palette is nice!

Thank you, Alfredo (for your useful feedback and patience with my reply)! The panorama is amazing, but it’s the focus on the colors and flow of the Painted Hills near John Day, Oregon that makes this place really special.

Thanks for your feedback, Matt! I appreciate your perspective because it really is a crop of a much larger landscape, and thus - is it abstract? Interestingly enough, the full landscape image is pretty, but not as interesting to me. Based on your comments, I’m going to look at other abstract images and see what I can learn - thank you!

1 Like