Anemone spp. (liverwort)

I’ll leave this at the specific epithet. The taxonomy on this plant has changed, and I didn’t do a careful assessment.

The liverworts are a harbinger of spring. They are decidedly pre-vernal, blooming long before trees fully leaf. The spectrum of blooms ranges from pure white to a lovely deep blue. The flowers are borne on hairy stems above last season’s maroon or dark purple basal leaves. Fresh leaves appear later in the spring. They are three-lobed, suggesting the shape of a human liver and thus the indigenous name - liverwort.

Technical Details

Composite: No
The photo was taken in situ.

To avoid trampling the plant area, I select subjects adjacent to well-worn trails or areas naturally devoid of vegetation. That way, I can lie prone to compose and focus without leaving a flattened mess. If I can’t find such a situation, it’s time to move on.

The background is a portable fabric light-box housing a Nikon Speedlight. Two small Nikon Speedlights provide frontal lighting. All flash are in manual mode; their trigger and output are adjusted with a wireless controller on the camera hot shoe.

Nikon D-850, Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZE, f22