Anisdotia Princess

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Taken with a Nikon Z-7 using an Oreston 50mm1.8 Vintage lens. ISO 100 f/2.6 1/640 White Balance Auto Processed in Lightroom Classic CC with a Great Gatsby Preset, Photoshop CC, NIK and TK.

We recently discovered Vintage Lenses and have been experimenting with them. This lens gives us Bokeh Hexagon Pearls at f/stops above 1.8.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below. #patrickohealy ig
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Patrick, Gorgeous image and excellent processing. Soft, subtle colours and beautiful BG.
My only tiny nit is the brighter area behind the top right of the bloom. You might consider toning it down a fair bit.
Sandy

Thanks Sandy. I will soften it a bit to see how you like it. I left it because it was part of the pearl Bokeh this lens generates.

Patrick, this is a fine, artistic rendition. Amazing that it’s all in the lens and not a PS effect. I think it works very well as presented. You might also try a bid of dodging along the bottom and right to even out the brightness in the background.

1 Like

It almost looks like a painting with the nice soft light, Patrick. Well done. I agree on evening the lighting on the background with dodging and burning if you can, but a fine photo as is.

Patrick
This is amazingly lovely. Put it on the wall!
One small thing, really minor; that white patch at the upper right of the flower really draws my eye. I wonder if cloning a little bit of the green onto it at a very low opacity might leave it there but not quite so bright? Minor thing. This is great as is. Well done.

A piece of painting I would say …beautifully crafted.

Mark,
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. The effect is not wholly attributed to the lens. The Oreston 50mm 1.8 makes hexagon bokeh pearls at f/2.1 and higher. From that, I used a present program, Great Gatsby to develop the pastel lower saturation effect.

I plan to experiment with the feedback I received from each of you regarding this image. Many thanks, again.

Many thanks Shirley. I appreciate the feedback. You and others have given me a lot to think about. If interested review the feedback I gave Mark Seaver about the lens and technique.

The shot will certainly stand up to dodging and burning.

1 Like

Kathy, You and others have given me great constructive feedback. I have mulled all the feedback for several days, and following is the conclusion to which you together have led me:

• At inception I had the choice to render the photo realistically, including the brightness of some of the bokeh pearls or to do a soft artistic approach.
  • I took the soft artistic approach using the Great Gatsby preset and then a variety of PS and its extensions.
  • But, rather than go whole hog doing it artistically I clung to certain realistic elements that did not support the goal. Consequently, the bright bokeh pearls needed to be dampened and the background made more even. While those elements were realistic rendition of the photo, since artistic creation was the goal, they did not support that end.

You and others have helped me to refine my thinking about what this and future shots are all about. What is my objective? And is my approach wholly supporting it?

Many thanks for your thoughtful response that has helped me to think through what I am doing.

List item

Thank you Balan. You and the others who commented have contributed to my understanding of my goal for this photo and what I did and did not do to support that goal. My response to Kathy further explains what I have learned from the feedback.

Sandy,
Take a look at my response to Kathy, which is the result of the collection of great feedback I received for this photo. I am looking forward to posting others and participating more fully in NPN in the future.

Patrick - you received a lot of very good comments and suggestions.
We all have to develop our vision for the end product of an image we have captured.

To me, though, it’s not all this complicated. I see an image, take the image, look at it for a couple minutes full screen on a computer, and decide the basics of how to process it - whether it would be most effective colour or B&W, realistic or more artistic, and where exactly in between. best realistic, or where in-between.

I have very little free time, and I avoid using it to sit at the computer. I want to be outside traveling, gardening, or shooting.

Sandy

I keep coming back to this, Patrick, because I’m a big fan of bokeh. I think the only thing I would do is burn down the parts next to the flower. Overall it’s a quite pleasing result.

Thanks Bill. Great suggestion. I plan to work on it tomorrow.

Patrick: Really nicely done from capture to processing. Very pleasing image.>=))>
PS: It’s certainly OK to post images like this in M/CU but Flora might be a bit more appropriate.

Thank you Bill. Returning to npn’s new format has resulted in a few missteps.

I agree with most of what has been said here. I fooled around with the image a bit, but never quite found the means to “tone down” the brighter bits. One of the things I do with almost all my images with sharp edges in the subject is to separate the subject and background into separate layers, which allows for different treatments for each. This is a bit more difficult here with some soft edges in the subject. However, I feel the BG can be made just a bit more subdued by judicious use of levels and some dodging and lightening. Or conversely, bringing up the brightness of the flower’s midtones.

You might consider with your experiments with the lens just making a bokeh picture and using it as an overlay at reduced capacity.

A very worthy first effort. I am looking forward to more from you in this vein!

congrats on the EP, my friend!
Well done!
Hope you’ll be able to be more active on NPN, with all your new toys!
Sandy

Sandy, thanks so much. I had no idea until I got your email. I will do my best to get back into the swing of things in NPN.