Asimina triloba (paw-paw)

Paw-paw is a small deciduous clonal tree native to the eastern United States and Canada. The large fruit is yellowish-green to brown with a sweet, custard-like flavor vaguely similar to a banana, mango, and pineapple. Ripening in September, at 2-6 inches, they are the largest edible fruit indigenous to the United States.

Technical Details

Composite: No
After several years of watching a clonal colony in deep rich alluvial soil along the Youghiogheny River in the Allegheny Mts., I was fortunate to finally find a branch and flower low enough to make a photograph.

1 Like

Another nice one. The flower reminds me of wild ginger. I’ve never heard of the fruit or the tree so this was a nice discovery.

I deleted the first reply because my iPad and I were having issues with our relationship, not because I didn’t want anyone to see what I wrote.

Anyway.

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, it has that deep maroon color of wild ginger. Have you found all three invertebrates on the plant?

Paul, interesting to me that you show this. For me a paw-paw was always a papaya until recently, when my son-in-law, who hails from N. Carolina, told me about this fruit. He is settling back home soon and specifically wants to grow these, as he says they are delicious, local to his area and he is keen to re-establish indigenous plants of all kinds if possible. So I’m enjoying this picture of what I assume is the flower (with added ant, bush cricket and…darned if my eyes can figure out a third!).

Mike, I’m glad you enjoyed the paw-paw. They are becoming more and more popular, and people are growing them in the backyard, or front yard (why are backyard one word and front yard two?), gardens. Tree Pittsburgh, a local organization dedicated to providing a greater diversity of home and street trees, collects local seeds and grows plants to be sold. Yup, an ant, and bush cricket, and … there is one small beetle on the left petal of the flower. Plus, another ant on the leaf to the lower right. That ant is on the back of the leaf.

The inclusion of the animals is usually serendipity. Often I don’t even see them when setting up the photograph and then find them while processing.

I enjoy your flora from Korea. Please keep them coming.

The more I look at this one, the more I think it’s your best yet. I think it’s the placement of the leaves as a natural frame. They look too perfect and the illusion that this isn’t a photo is very strong.

1 Like

Thanks Kris. I appreciate your input. I like the animals that are included. They are purely serendipitous. I didn’t see them while making photograph, and didn’t see the cricket in the flower until I posted it here.

The “illusion that this isn’t a photo” is something that I’m working toward. However, I don’t know what in the technique of making the image, and processing the image, produces the result.

Maybe it’s a secret that shouldn’t be known by we humble carbon based life forms.

I love being photobombed by the surprise spider or other little critter. Always fun and a lot of the time I don’t notice them either. Sometimes they’re just too small. Like a springtail that showed up in one of my photo stacks. It roamed around, but I ‘placed’ it in one spot for the final image. You can’t see it until you really magnify, but it’s there. Like a tiny pink bunny.

2 Likes

@Kris_Smith @paul_g_wiegman Yes indeed - remember the movie “Blow-Up”? The ultimate photobomb.

1 Like