At The Border

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

1/40sec f/6.3 ISO125

1 Like

Hey Andre,
This is nice! I love the tonal separation between the layers here and the flower is a great touch!
Not sure if it was intentional or not but the flower is slightly out of focus when I look at the full-resolution version… otherwise I have zero complaints on this great image.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment @Matt_Payne . I wanted to have the flower in focus but I was on a hill and the wind wouldn’t ease up. At the time I was still reluctant to step too far away from my Home base of ISO 100. If I had to take that shot now I know my camera can handle ISO 400 without much degradation in IQ. The way things are going with AI now, I could probably have shot this at ISO 1200 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I’ve found even up to 1600 is no big deal really, especially if you are just blending in that one spot… =) NICE image, I really love it!

1 Like

Love the detail in this image and that wonderful texture. However, I would prefer an intimate of either the upper or lower rather than the two together. The lack of continuity between the two half is an issue for me - I think.

Massive love for this photo. I adore abstracts that contradict in a split frame. The different colors really resonate in this one. If I had to suggest anything, it’d be to experiment with different crops. A square crop might look really cool here.

Andre,

Amazing image. I really like the basic warm/cool theme, which also has a yin-yang kinda look and feel.

I think as has been mentioned though, the details are amazing! Which, I think can be a plus - or a minus. I think my only critical feedback on this one would be the amount of extraneous detail - more specifically the twigs clustered in the LR and honestly that whole little branch structure with the tiny flower attached.

Certainly there are numerous crops to simplify - while still retaining a collection of fine details, textures and colors.

Fascinating combo of colors and details no matter how you slice this one!

Lon

Thanks for the comments @Igor_Doncov @Lon_Overacker @David_Johnston

@Igor_Doncov I agree with you, focusing on either the top or bottom half would also have yielded some interesting stories. I was just more intrigued by the juxtaposition of the two sides at the time. It’s like @Lon_Overacker mentioned I was thinking about the Yin-yang concept when I was shooting and cropping it.

@David_Johnston I think this is a square crop, I’m not sure what you mean. Feel free to have a go at it if you want. Much thanks for the feedback.

@Lon_Overacker This is one of those last-minute shots when you’ve packed up everything in your bag and you know it’s getting late, and you still have a way to hike before you get back to your car. It was so striking when I saw it that I had to stop, set back up my gear and have a go at it. Of course, when I got back home I wished I would have spent some time with the scene. I agree with you regarding the twigs. Thanks for the feedback.

The Ying and Yang concept , as I recall, is not a full separation of the two parts. The black area has a white round shape within it and the white area contains a black one. Harmony is reached by this balance. The comment I made was actually in support of that sort of balance.

1 Like

Andre, there is so much to love about your image. Congrats on spotting this composition and wonderful work with the overall balance of the scene. That branch that flows with the shape of the warmer rock is really nice. Wonderful image!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Alfredo_Mora

Another nice image Andre. Terrific details in this image. I too noticed that the flower was out of focus but it certainly isn’t a deal breaker for me. Has to be viewed large to even be noticed. It’s amazing how nature dishes out these sort of rocks that are right next to each other and look nothing alike. My favorite part of this image though is the curved stick that rides the dividing line between the two rock segments. Well seen and composed.

Beautiful image. I love the colors, tones and lines. The focus is not an issue for me. FWIW, I cropped off about10% of the bottom, just below the strong dark line, and it improved the balance for me.

Thanks for the feedback Don.