Aurochs

Some projects are going on to breed back the extinct aurochs, possibly (one of) the ancestor(s) of domestic cattle. The variety in the image is one of the attempts. Its home is in Bavaria, in NP Bavarian Forest, a low-mountain region in Germany next to the border with the Czech Republic.
This lady posed on a snowy slope in the morning sun.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Pentax K3 Mk. iii, Sigma 4/100-300mm, ISO800, 1/250s and f/6.3.

Wow, what a magnificent looking creature, Han. I love the antlers. I would prefer that he/she was looking into the frame rather than out because that leaves the right side sort of dead space. But the intense look and breath are awesome.

I like this image and appreciate the information. @David_Bostock I believe these are horns.

1 Like

I agree it’s a beautiful animal with noble horns, and beautifully lit. Maybe lighten a little bit of the upper left side of the head?

Thanks, @David_Bostock , @Jim_Gavin and @Mike_Friel for your kind comments.
@David_Bostock : I have another image with the animal looking into the frame and I understand your opinion, but I preferred the pose in this one, with the head turn.

1 Like

Beautiful light and I can see why you like the head turn, Han. I like the setting as well. I was going to suggest somewhat the same idea as David Bostock, but I understand liking the head turn and given the history of the species this is trying to emulate, the “leaving the frame” composition might make sense. If it feels like there’s too much dead space on the right, you could try a different crop proportion with some cropped of the right.

Thank you, @Dennis_Plank for your comment. Much appreciated.
For those that prefer the animal to look the other way, I added a second image.