Autumn in the Great Smoky Mountains: A Sheography™ Women’s Photography Workshop with Colleen Miniuk-Sperry/CMS Photography
October 30-November 3, 2019
Limited to 10 women - SOLD OUT - Please email Colleen for waitlist.
Calling all the ladies! Since 2011, Colleen’s all-women’s workshops have helped inspire photographic growth, personal development,wanderlust, and life-long friendships. And Sheography™ aims to continue that, to help women of all ages, backgrounds, and photographic skill become “the woman you were meant to be through the art of photography and adventure.”
Join Colleen and other Sheographers™ for this photographic adventure in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in Tennessee at the height of fall colors!
We’ll base ourselves in the Wears Valley area at a specially-rented private 11-bedroom, 8-bathroom house with a whopping 8,600-square-feet of luxurious living space. We’ll soak in the the 270-degree views of the surrounding area with a fire blazing in the fire pit on an evening or two, no doubt! Can you say “s’more’s”? Oh, and don’t forget the private outdoor hot tub.
We’ll be just minutes away from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park where we’ll explore the luminous leaves, babbling brooks, rolling hills, and rich history that make this place so photogenic. Colleen will help you improve your photography skills–both creatively and technically–and encourage you to see through your own lens while visiting inspiring landscapes like Cades Cove, Clingman’s Dome, Tremont, Elkmont, and the Foothills Parkway.
In the learning-intensive, supportive, and small group setting characteristic to Colleen’s Sheography™ workshops, you’ll be challenged to push yourself to try new things photographically and creatively. Through a balance of field-based sessions, casual presentations, and open discussions, attendees will learn more about how to:
- Incorporate the creative process into your photography to make unique and meaningful images
- Connect on a personal level with the Great Smoky Mountains landscapes–both big and small–mindful observations
- Tap into visualization, visual language/composition, and lighting to create emotionally-driven photographs
- Technically translate what you know, see, and feel into an effective photograph using exposure controls, depth of field, filters, etc.
- Get immediate feedback on your work in the field and during image critique sessions
FUN is definitely on the schedule for this workshop!
Best suited for mobile, sure-footed participants who are capable of hiking up to two-miles roundtrip on uneven, rocky terrain while carrying their gear. Spry individuals may wish to climb over rocks, scramble up muddy slopes, or trek through shallow freshwater streams, but none of that is not required to make great photographs.
- Four (4) nights lodging in your own room in a private house (all SINGLE-occupancy with shared bath; four rooms have en suite bathrooms and can be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis for an additional $200/person–please request early! Rooms will be assigned first-come, first-served based on registration date.)
- Photography instruction (classroom, field, and critique sessions) plus handouts
- Great Smoky Mountain NPS permits & park entrance fees
- Welcome dinner and drinks on the evening of October 30
- Continental-style breakfast snacks prior to sunrise shoots (e.g. bagels, muffins, fruit, coffee/tea)
- Water and snacks throughout the workshop
- An invitation to join the closed “CMS Photography: Workshop Alumni Forum” Facebook group
- Sheography™ swag!
- Airfare (closest airport is the McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS) in Knoxville, TN about an hours drive away)
- Transportation to/from/during the workshop–carpooling during the session will be encouraged!
- Participants’ breakfasts, lunches, and dinners (we’ll definitely want to sample the local fare, but the lodge has a communal refrigerator so individual meals can be prepared at the house in lieu of dining out)
- Trip insurance
This workshop is sold out. Please email Colleen for waitlist.
Cancellation Policy :
All cancellations must be provided in writing. Cancellations made:
- At least 90 days prior to the workshop start date: A full refund, minus a $50 administrative fee, will be granted
- 89-61 days prior to the workshop start date: A full refund, minus the full deposit paid will be granted
- 60 days or less prior to the workshop start date: No refunds will be issued.
If the vacated spot happens to fill prior to the workshop at any time, then a full refund, including the balance paid and the deposit minus a $50 administrative fee, will be granted.
There are no exceptions to this policy. CMS Photography strongly encourages you to purchase trip insurance to protect yourself in the event of unexpected circumstances preventing you from attending our workshops.