Autumn Salt Marsh

This image was taken near low tide in a tidal salt marsh in the Parker River NWR in Newbury, MA. In the last week of October the salt marsh grasses turn a wonderful golden color. At this time in October most of the maple trees have gone past peak. But photographing the more subtle autumn colors of the salt marsh allows me to extend my fall shooting season by another week or so. I was fascinated by the patterns and shapes of the grasses in this specific location, and shot here on two consecutive mornings because the tide was right. On this morning, I had some nice clouds show up at sunrise as well. This is a manual blend of 3 exposures for dynamic range, and used TK luminosity masks to the do the blend.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.
2 Likes

The light in the FG marsh grass is particularly stunning as it shows off a multitude of details as well as the fallen leaves sprinkled about the scene, Ed. The clouds were certainly a plus as is the sunstar. This is a beauty.

Ed,

The shapes created by the water and grasses are quite striking. add the reflections and the rising sun and clouds and you’ve got a winner. It’s also a real treat to have the scattered fall leaves which gives the view some context and the season. Well done.

Well-crafted composition. I think that the oak leaves on the grasses add to the image, by reinforcing the feeling of autumn.

Beautiful morning light and the reverse S curve just leads the viewer into the image.

Mark