Autumn Sun

The image is from the photography I do for Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Garden. During each session, I make it a point to wander the grounds without a specific objective.

Images pop out while ambling. This photo is one.

The sun star is intentional - f22. The walk and glasshouse in the lower left is also intention. The marketing department uses these images, and they like to hint at the historic building in the scene.

My work at Phipps is as a volunteer. My career was with several not-for-profit organizations. It was a wonderful time, and in retirement, I decided to give back to another not-for-profit group. Phipps is green and warm year-round, so that was my choice.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

A lovely presentation of this scene. The interest of the building, the sun star, the blush of red leaves and the clouds make for a rich and pleasing image. This tree looks like a great subject for a tilt-shift lens, to show the canopy dramatically.

1 Like

@Diane_Miller, I agree. I was lazy in not giving the tree more room in the frame, which would have allowed some adjustment in LightRoom.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I can see why they use your images in their marketing. Very inviting and harmonious image. The inclusion of the building, historic or not, helps frame the tree and give the photo added dimension. Without it, it’s just a nice tree with an attractive sky and a sun star, but with it there’s more of a story and the idea that there is more to explore.

I’ve never used a tilt-shift, but I’ve long drooled over them.

1 Like

@_Kris, thanks for the comments. I added the note about having the glasshouse in the scene to have others recognize “assignment” photo sessions. Along with finding exciting subject matter and working to make a well-crafted image, additional parameters have to be included that might be otherwise avoided. Interior images are easy since the walls and ceilings are easily incorporated, and often they are too overwhelming and hard to limit.

The other aspect that marketing wants is blue skies seen through the glass. That’s a whole different factor I don’t control - not yet. The blue skies seen through the glass are lovely, but then you’re shooting with bright highlights and deep shadows. It makes for a lot of fun getting everything in the photograph.

I’ve been volunteering for 20 years, and it’s incredible how the glasshouse, and the plants within, are different every week.

I’ve used a borrowed tilt-shift lens, and they are handy. I never did enough to warrant a purchase.

If I did, I’d make sure and ask if it had been drooled on. ;>)