Awash

Been out of commission for awhile studying for a board exam I just completed yesterday. It’s good to be back to the community. Wide open on comments and feedback. Open honesty is preferred.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jim_mcgovern_photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Welcome back, Jim. I hope the exam went well!

That’s a nice downburst cell. I love the layers of blue, and the rain being vertical, adds to the drama of the light. The color looks good to me, as does the contrast.

We could sure use some rain here in CA!
–P

Lovely image with so much depth, the layers are quite stunning and I think they deserve a bit more focus put upon them. Here’s some ideas for you to ponder, in the following images I darkened the sky considerably which helps keep the eye drawn in to the image which makes a huge difference in my opinion. It also lacks some contrast for my taste, a simple levels adjustment to bring in the black and white points really helps.

First in color, I desaturated the most saturated colors quite a bit:

But I think where this image really shines is in black and white, which I increased the contrast even more:

1 Like

Welcome back Jim. I like the wonderful layers of color and drama.

Good to see you, Jim. I like both of @David_Kingham 's reworks. That said, the original is pretty dang nice too.

Thanks @Preston_Birdwell for your comments! It was great to watch this scene unfold. Hope you guys get some relief soon!

@David_Kingham - thanks so much for your perspective! Your edits definitely create an intense contrast between the dark and gloomy framing of the clouds and mountain and the layers to the lit area beyond. These edits definitely create a more penetrating visual experience and I agree that it really helps emphasize the layers. Super helpful and I’ll chew on that a bit. I really like the B&W edit so thanks again for your interest and comments.

@Eva_McDermott and @Harley_Goldman - thank you for commenting. It’s good to be back!

1 Like

Fine atmospheric perspective and the downpour is a bonus. I prefer the original image to @David_Kingham’s edit; I like the extra contrast in the sky, but the foreground is too dark for me and looses the feeling of a typical aerial perspective.

Thanks for commenting @Hans_Overduin…after giving some it some further thought, I came to your conclusion as well. Still, the B&W was also worth exploring so have both subsequent edits attached. Please let me know your thoughts.