Back Lit Ostriches

The few times that I’ve seen ostriches, they had spotted the jeep from a distance and were running away at a good clip. Had I chosen to photograph them, I would have had a great series of butt shots of distant ostriches. Returning to camp late in the day, I came across this trio which had just climbed out of a dry wash and were now on eye level. Fortunately, they were nicely back lit and gave me a few seconds to unpack my camera and take some photos before they did the ostrich thing of running away. I cropped about 20% off the right side of the frame. Do you think more of a crop would be beneficial? Also, would you bring up the darks or leave them as silhouettes? Richard

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)1/1000, f/8 and ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I think it’s pretty neat how the sun’s glow outlines the bodies. I don’t think you need more of a crop. If you brought up the darks it might change the effect of the glowing outline, but I guess you’d have to play with it and see what works. An unique image; thanks for sharing.

A very interesting silhouette shot of these ostriches, Richard! I think your crop is just right and I don’t think there will be enough information in the dark parts to make it worth trying to bring it out, especially since the outlines are what makes it pretty cool!

Hi Richard, nice rim lighting and I’d leave exposure as is as well as the crop (just enough room in the direction the bird’s bodies are headed). Well done.

I like this as posted, Richard. Bringing up the darks would look funky to me and I like the mystery inherent in the silhouettes. Nicely seen and executed.

Very nice use of the light and its direction, Richard. The outline of the ostriches against the light is very pleasing as are the dust clouds at their feet.I like that I am able to see much of the details in the surroundings. Crop looks fine.