Bamboo Shadows

I ventured over to the Mercer Arboretum a few days ago. Their tropical sections were pretty devastated by the hard freeze we had in February but most of the bamboo survived. I was attracted to the play of light and the color palette. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7RIII
Sony 70-400 GII @ 360mm
ISO 400, 1/400 @ f11

I can see why. The different tones, all subdued, are harmonious and a little bit somber. The light though is anything but. A nice dichotomy and the arrangement of the stalks is neat and random at the same time.

I love bamboo and you have done it justice here! Kris summed it up perfectly – nothing I can add.

Totally agree with Kris and Diane, Bill. Amazing how many colors you have gotten in this group of bamboo shoots. Nicely done.

A very nice image, Bill. The only thing I can add to the comments above, is that the image has a sense of quietness, when seen large. I hear silence.

Nice, Bill. The interplay of light and shadow is very pleasing.

Nicely done Bill. Not sure if the freeze damaged some these bamboo shoots, but if it did i actually like the wide variety of colors that you have here. I think this variety is more interesting than if they had all been uniformly green. No nits from me, I like it as presented.

Nice image. I would love to se a B/W version of this .

Bill,
The interplay of light and shadow works beautifully in this scene and brings out all of the varying subtle shades of color. It would be interesting to see this as a B&W. Nicely done!

Bill just for fun I did a B/W of your image. I like the color version better but the B/W also highlights the lighting and varied textures well with a broad tonal range.

1 Like