Beavertail Sunset

A winter sunset from Beavertail State Park in Rhode Island. Being on the east coast, seascapes are primarily a sunrise thing. But certain parts of the New England coast are blessed with peninsulas that run north to south, thus allowing one to do sunsets as well.

Many photographers visit Beavertail to shoot the iconic lighthouse here. But I love Beavertail’s rocky shoreline instead, which is particularly good around low tide. Here I caught it just as the tide was starting to come back in.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique and comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Blend of 4 exposures for dynamic range using TK Luminosity Masks.
Removed cargo vessel from the bay.
Had bad red flare on the foreground rocks, used TK Color Clone tool to remove it.
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 16-35mm f4 lens at 16mm. ISO 100

Thank you Canon for the sunstar shape on the 16-35mm f4 lens :grin:

2 Likes

No nits from me, Ed. Nice comp with the placement of the sun inthe center working very well in this instance. That is a great sunstar. Still not enough to get me to switch to Canon. LOL

1 Like

Nice one, Ed. The sunshine on the rocks and water make this one for me. Given that fact, I thought a vertical or square might work here as well. But it does not.

Living on the east coast, I had to read that twice to make sure you said sunset, not sunrise. Then I read the rest and realized you were on a peninsula, and so, the sunset. I have been to RI many times, but to visit family in Newport. If ever I get up there again I need to check Beavertail State Park out. This is just gorgeous, Ed. You did such a great job capturing and compiling the 4 exposures. It just looks like I am standing there at the scene. Should be smelling the salt air and feeling the breeze. :+1: :+1:

Ed,I like the image with the sun cached between the see and the sky.

Ed,
I had to read this twice when I noticed you said sunset not sunrise. This image shows your impeccable attention to detail and processing. I love the way the clouds fan out along the horizon and that sunstar is perfection IMO. I also like all off the diagonal elements in the FG from the rocky coastline to that channel of water. They all do a wonderful job of directing the viewer to that fantastic sunset( almost typed sunrise). Your chosen SS was perfect and rendered some lovely details and textures in the water. I have no suggestions.

Classic seascape and sunset Ed. I love the light striking the surf and rocks.

Hard to be critical of anything thing here. Just enjoying a beautiful moment.

Lon

@Shirley_Freeman @Lon_Overacker @Michael_Lowe @Ben_van_der_Sande @Igor_Doncov @Ed_Lowe thanks to you all for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it.

Shirley, you probably already know this, but this location is only 2 or 3 miles from Newport Harbor, as the crow flies. It is good at both sunrise and sunset, and has a beautiful lighthouse too.

I prefer to do seascapes with rocky shores, and the coast of Massachusetts where I live is mainly sand beaches. But for some reason the relatively small coast of Rhode Island is mostly rocky, and i enjoy shooting in RI.

1 Like

No nits Ed; a beautiful sunset. A crop removing some of the top and right works well too. (Not necessarily better, but different.)