Belladonna time has come

Naked Lady Lilly is very popular in our neighborhood. It takes a single bulb many years to produce abundant clusters (the garden I photographed was planted 10 years ago). It started blooming here beginning of August.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Couldn’t get both flowers in perfect focus. Is it a problem? Wanted to blur the background at its most.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5d mark iv, ISO 200, 190 mm, f/4.5, 1/160 sec

2 Likes

Lana: I like this very much. I think your DOF works just fine. The anthers on both flowers are sharp and for me that’s critical to success on an image like this. I like the comp with the buds behind and to the side. There’s a dynamism that I find especially attractive. Most excellent. >=))>

@thank you, Bill! Used manual focus and starting to appreciate the power of it vs. auto-focus.

As an alternative, I just did a quick rework as a vertical with the focus on the two blooms. Your comp works well and tells more of a story.

It is looks beautiful, @Patricia_Brundage! I went to the lily patch today morning to take more pictures. They look so different. We are in the middle of heatwave. Lily flowers lost all that amazing deep pink hue. They are almost white now. Such a short time to bloom for them this year.

Nice image. I also like @Patricia_Brundage rework.

Excellent image. I think the two stems to the left help frame the main subject. I like the recomposed image also. Lovely colors and contrast. Flowers look very sharp.