Big Head

This is a “Cabezon” (Scorpaenichthys marmoratus ) that gets its name from the Spanish term big-headed. They live along the Pacific Coast and enjoy a life of little movement until it’s time to eat. This particular fella was photographed at Point Lobos State Reserve which if you are ever near Carmel California is a stunning location for both above and below water photography.

Canon 1Ds Mark II, EF 100mm Macro L IS, Manual Mode 1/125, f/10 two off-camera flashes.

1 Like

Beautiful details and color Keith. This is a great example how photography brings out the hidden details and color of a subject. I have a off topic question, I see you have the 100 Macro L. I have thought about getting the 100 F/2.8. Do you like the L lens and think it is worth the extra cost, which I don’t mind really. I have the 180 but there are times I can get close to a subject and having that IS would be nice. Awesome photo for sure.

Hi Dean, I am no lens expert but from my experience, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens is superior to the older version which was not an L lens and did not have IS. I used the previous version you mention for years and I feel the quality and features of the newer lens are well worth the cost. And frankly for an L series lens the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens is a very good value.

Love the details and the weired expression !

Thanks Jagdeep! I think that is why they are grumpy all the time…it’s the weird expression!