Birch landscape on Mt. Etna

Mt. Etna, on the east coast of Sicily, is the largest active volcano in Italy and one of the larger in Europe (well, I know, Iceland has some spectacular ones…). At altitudes between about 1400 and a little more than 2000 meters, an endemic birch tree species (Betula aetnensis) evolved to survive the extreme climate conditions of this area. The contrast between the white trunks of the trees and the black volcanic soil is fascinating.

Tech: full frame sensor, 16 mm, ISO 400, 1/250 sec, hand held. Developed with Lightroom, slight selective dark filter on the upper portion of the image.

Please do not critique this image. Galleries are for sharing and discussion only.

That’s quite a birch tree, Antonello! I’m not used to seeing birch trees that branch out that widely. The ones we have up here in Alaska tend to be tall and skinny. I agree that the contrast with the dark earth adds to the scene. I also like the detail in the small branches.

Thanks Gary! These trees are rather “branchy”, more than the birch trees we have in the Alps - and certainly much more than those in the far North…