Birdbath

This is my favorite shot from today’s birdbath images. I thought about cropping out the front, but I kind of like it. Gives the image some depth. What do you think?

Btw, can someone ID this guy for me, thanks.

Best,
Rudy

Specific Feedback Requested

Every comment/critique is greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D500, AF-S 500mm f/4D ED, TC 1.4 II. 1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 450, Gitzo tripod, WH-200 head.

1 Like

Pretty great shot, Rudy, . not sure a crop would make it any better or change anything. Love the good focused spiky feathers and face with gaped mouth expression. I was going to ask for the ID too. I have to go with Sparrow, but what species…hmm? Nice warm buffy and gray color markings, dark chin stripes, white belly… I’ll go with Lincoln Sparrow, best I can do. I only see it in So. California in the winter as a migrant and in early Springtime. What State did you take it in?

1 Like

Thanks Stephen,

I also think that it is a sparrow. It is difficult to tell since it is all wet and fluffy. I haven’t had a chance to take a shot before the bath. I refilled my bird bath, went back to my gear and bam, this guy was already in the water and enjoying it self. I am in South Texas, about 30 miles from the golf cost.

Best,
Rudy

Very nice Rudy. I do love the spiked hairdo and the flying water. I think a slightly looser shot with more of the flying water and the full tail might be even better. There seems to be little detail in the white breast so you might look at trying to bring the highlights down in your RAW editor.

You picked the worst place in the country to photograph this as far as ID goes-they have everything down there. I agree with sparrow, and the only thing that seems to fit is Lincoln’s though it’s supposed to have a narrow white eye ring that I’m not seeing.

1 Like

HI Rudy
The puff-out feathers, splashing , eye contact, and control of whites blend into a lovely photograph.
Peter

1 Like

I agree, a bit more of the flying water and the full tail would have been nice. But either the tail or the head was under water.lol

Thanks Dennis,

Best,
Rudy

Thanks Peter.

Best,
Rudy

It is a Lincoln’s sparrow. The buffy breast and narrow black stripes plus gray stripe on the crown are definitive characters for this species. Overall, a pleasing composition. And you could tweak down the highlights for better details in the light areas of the bird. Well done…Jim