Birds Of A Feather

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DS-R, 100x400x1.4 Extension, F 10, 1/6400sec., iso 6400 at 560mm., Use Topaz denoise and sharpen after LR and Photoshop Tools, Photo taken from hunters tent with large flaps. Tripod used.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

WOW! Amazing capture! Any information about the species or behavior?

Thanks Diane, it would only be a guess at this point. They apparently had a disagreement.

Hi John
Vary neat action, great detail and color. It looks like it is nice to have 50 plus pix to play around with.
At 6400 ISO, what did the noise level look like before using Topaz Denise.
Nice work.
Peter

The action on this image is really neat. Great moment to capture.

I have to guess that this is a very large crop and/or a huge amount of noise reduction as there is little or no feather detail in the plumage of either of the two birds. That’s a shame as this is a very cool moment in time.

Appreciate the comments. Yes , the noise was excessive but thought the de-noise programs would work well enough to post the “bird action,” my primary objective.

Very cool action, Wayne, and the background is awesome. I understand the lack of feather detail, but there’s an odd texture with horizontal bands in the side of the upper bird. You might want to look back through your processing steps to see where it came from.

Thanks Dennis, did not notice before but will look into it.
Wayne

A behavior similar to this occurs with Red-tailed Hawks as a sort of mating ritual or pair-bonding. I wonder if that is the case here. The banding noted above can be brought out by lightening dark areas enough. It is fixed-pattern noise on the sensor. I’m curious if NR brought it out (delineated it) more.