Black-crowned Night-heron

This species is found throughout the world, except for the coldest regions and Australiasia. I have had them in my back yard in Florida, but I took this image at the “lagoon hide” at Zimanga Private Game Reserve in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa. It was good to have the low angle that the hide provided.

Technical Details

Composite: No
I’m travelling and don’t have the data. But I know it was shot with my Sony a1 and Sony 100-400mm lens.

3 Likes

Great perch and blurred background. The lighting highlights the great detail in the bird. Beautiful capture.

1 Like

Awesome image, Charles.

1 Like

I love these birds, we have a lot of them in my area too. Always a thrill to see. Nicely done.

1 Like

This is not a Black Crowned Night Heron; it is a Green Heron. There are three very distinctive traits missing from the BCNH as opposed to being a GH. First is the eye color. A mature BCNH has a very distinctive red eye coloring. Second, the BCNH has white long trailing feathers on its head, whereas this one like all my GH shots, has very pronounced black trailing feathers, and Third, the coloration on the wings of a GH goes all the way to the tips in the same triangular pattern while the BCNH’s wings are quite dark (black) about half-way down with the rest of the wing a medium to light gray.
When they are immature or just slightly into adulthood, it is easy to mix the ID up, especially when shooting from a distance. It is however, a nice shot of a young Green Heron.

1 Like