Black Faced Solitaire

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I captured this image a few years back on one of my early trips to Costa Rica. I was off hiking on my own away from the group I was with and spotted this beautiful bird through a small opening. I had no idea what the bird even was when I captured the frame. Found out later that getting a full frame shot of one of these little guys is a pretty uncommon occurrence. I felt very fortunate to have spotted it on a nice small perch with a good background.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 50D, 500mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/125 @ f/5.6, ISO 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

For me the lighting on the bird against the OOF background make this a standout. More light or detail behind it would diminish the image greatly, I fear. As it is the detail and color of the bird jump off the screen.

Beautiful bird, Keith, and a lovely portrait. As Hank noted, the lighting really makes this one pop.

Hi Keith,
Love the lighting as well and the details are really fine. Nice thin perch. I like the puffed up pose and nice look at the eye. Well done.

This is a wonderful image, Keith. As others have commented, the lighting on the bird against that oof background just makes him stand out. The details and color are spot on. Great shot.

This is an excellent frame, Keith. There is only one nit from me, the feathers between its eye and beak are a little blocked up. Maybe increase the blackpoint by a few points to reveal some fine feather details there?

I noticed that before I posted as well and tried a few techniques to see about getting some detail. It’s just not there. Oh well… Guess I’ll have to go back for another attempt!