Black Throated Sparrow LiftOff

A little Black Throated Sparrow lifting off from one branch to make about a 1 foot flight to the next spot. Extremely fast little guys. Thanks to OM Systems OM-1 at 50 frames per second I was able to get a couple of frames and this one had the best flight position. Pretty cool stuff.
Full Frame with one little twig cloned on the right edge.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

OM-1
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
Handheld
1/5000, f/5.6, ISO 640

1 Like

Great little bird and excellent moment in time. I really need to play with Pre-Burst when I’m doing birds. That’s what Panasonic calls Pro-Capture - same thing. Wing position is great and I like that the feet are barely still touching. Lucky head turn and that background. Super all around. Nice to see someone else shooting the little guys, too.

Great take-off image, Keith. I really like the wing position. 50 fps? Thats insane!

Yes it is! The camera is capable of 50 fps with full RAW images and full continuous AF/AE. It can do full RAW with a single AF/AE at 120 fps… I haven’t tried that one yet. Holy Cow!

Wow, Keith, what a shot. I really love everything about this takeoff shot. Wonderful details. It sure sounds like you have every right to be satisfied with your OM-1. I’m not quite ready to leave Canon yet, but have toying with the thought of trying the new R7 mirrorless to replace my 7D Mark II. Just not totally sure yet. It can do 30 fps electronically, and 15 mechanically, I think they boast. I take shots of little birds through the window these days because I am caring for my husband and so rarely get to go “out” to shoot. You are convincing me with this shot that I would get more keepers and enjoy my shooting from in here much more. Worth the upgrade. Thank you for sharing this wonderful shot.

Excellent takeoff image with superb detail and color. At 50 frames per second, you can go through a lot of memory cards quickly. Although my Sony alpha-1 has the ability to do 30 frames per second, I mostly shoot at 10 frames per second; makes editing a series of images a lot easier. Yes, you can miss a shot at 10 frames a second that you might get at 30 to 50 frames per second. Be glad you’re not dealing with film!

1 Like

I like the pose and how the background complements the sparrow. @Shirley_Freeman , I think the R7 has 1/2 second of pre-capture.

I read that as well. It didn’t say if it was going to be able to capture RAW images with pre-capture. The Z9 has a pre-capture but only with jpeg images. I have no idea why.

I assume that all manufacturers will eventually implement this kind of feature. It is really nice for capturing “that moment”

Yes, I think so @Allen_Brooks and @Keith_Bauer. We will see when we get it. I preordered the R7 yesterday, but it won’t be shipped till around the 23rd of June I think.

Wow, that’s a 4 coffee shot with an espresso chaser. Body and head are nice and sharp. BG goes well with the bird. It is amazing what you can get for action images with new technology and excellent technique. Well done…Jim

2 Likes

Hi Keith
Do you get any rolling shutter at 50 frames per-sec? Great photograph, how many frames of pre-burst do you get at 50fps?
Peter

As you can see from this shot, I do not get any rolling shutter issues.

The number of pre-burst frames is programmable, it is not a fixed number. The number can range from 1 to 50 frames pre-burst.

Hi Keith
After looking at this post, I spent about an hour going over reviews, very cool camera. Have you shot any very high ISOs (10,000…)?
Peter

Hi Peter. No I haven’t. Even with dark sky night photography I rarely shoot above ISO 6400. My prior Olympus bodies dealt just fine with those kinds of ISO values, especially when I use DXO Pure RAW on the images. All the hype says that the sensor in the OM-1 is 2 stops better at higher ISO values than the prior bodies. I kind of doubt it, but maybe it is, don’t know.

Keith happy hunting.