Blue Heron on Ice

Great Blue Heron lands on the iced-over pond.
To freeze motion, I had my shutter speed at 1/1250th of a second. But this increased my ISO to 4000. Did some clean up in Topaz DeNoise. Trying to balance detail and smoothness.

Also, still working on trying to see color cast in ice. Always feels cool, so I tend towards the blues. Hard to know when too blue.

Didn’t quite avoid the messy background.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is a great image, Jennifer. The color of the ice looks fine and the action of the bird is perfect. You can’t always get a clutter free background, but this one doesn’t bother me much at all. Nice work!

Jennifer, your shutter speed has frozen the bird’s motion well. Both noise and color look fine. I’ve seen ducks land on ice and go sliding…did the Heron slide?

Wow, great capture, Jennifer. Love the motion in the Heron’s wings. Nicely done.

Captures beautifully the awkwardness of the heron’s landing on ice. The sweep of the breast feathers adds to the feel of it putting on the brakes. I too wonder what happened next.

Impressive action and landing position. This is a different and out of the box image in a very good way. Major points for originality.

Nice photo and take on the topic.

Very nice catch! Leaves the viewer wondering what happened next… The far wing looks a bit too blue, but it should be possible to isolate that area and fix it. Looks like a good job with Denoise. I find that different images often surprisingly work better with one of the algorithms, and have started doing more careful comparisons of detail areas at 100%.