Bluebird Sculpture

I continue to be entertained by the birds using our birdbath out on our deck. I got this capture of some western bluebirds cavorting and it made me think of a sculpture.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the somewhat confusing configuration of the top bird hurt the look? While it is a little weird, I think the novelty of the overall pose makes up for it. Yeah?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1600th, f 8.0, 525mm, ISO 3200, monopod, cropped to 3468 x 3268, Sharpen AI

2 Likes

Love this one, Dave! Yes, the bird at the top does make it a little hard to read, but the overall form is wonderful! Really nice catch!

The crazy action and interaction is so different that I found myself studying the photo just to try to make out what in heck they’re doing. Crabby things sometimes. Full of energy and fun behavior so even if the contortionist on the top isn’t cooperating, I think it works well for all those other factors.

Wonderful action in this one, Dave. The three tiers vertically make for a very interesting image. It looks like you’re shooting in very bright light, so you might consider stopping down on these to get more depth of field.

Quite the dynamic action shot you got here, Dave! Based on the amount of motion blur at 1/1600, I’d say it was all happening fast and furiously! It looks like the bird on top is ducking its head to dodge a peck by the other bird. A nice capture and fun to look at.