Breaking Away

Ironically this scene is only about 30 minutes drive from one of the most touristy places in Australia where there are many amusement parks and high rise hotels. Luckily they serve as a distraction for the majority and the hinterland bush is relatively uncrowded.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’ve processed this low key looking for mood. I wanted to accentuate the light hitting the plant breaking away searching for a better position.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1.6s, f/9, ISO100, 35mm, cropped to a 5:4 aspect ratio.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

The overly bright area in the lower left corner is distracting; otherwise, this is a very nice image. Hopefully the area will remain relatively unknown to the masses.

Very nice image, Nathan.

I think the low key processing really nails the mood you were going for. I really like the separation in the foliage. Adds a nice anchor point to the scene.

I have to agree with Jim, that the blown out area in the BLC is very distracting. Personally, the overall blue tone may be a little to cool for me, but that’s personal preference.

Kudos on a great image!

@Jim_Gavin and @ChrisNoronhaPhoto thanks for your comments. I take your point on the bright rocks. They are white and do appear blown out although they’re far from clipping the histogram. I’ll burn them down.

I’ve never had much luck making warm low key images and I tend to go for cool low key and warm for brighter scenes. I’d be keen to hear your insights Chris if you have an approach for warm low key images.

This has a plaintive air about it, as if the little plant is trying to escape towards the opening at the waterfall. Lovely.

1 Like

I like the mystery provided by this image. The plant on the left is simply elegant to add and balance the scene.

1 Like

Love this! The technical issue mentioned above is worth addressing, but even as presented we have a wonderful tableau of a subject, an obstacle to full view, and a tender little witness. Great eye to see this and capture it.
ML

1 Like

This image fascinates Nathan, because of the teasers. There’s the hint of the waterfall, a stream and a left slope that are a bit cut off, a small amount of vegetation in the upper right hinting at more, and a cave that becons with what we can’t see. About the only thing that is complete, is that plant. I really like the overall effect; it’s something I almost surely would missed. It takes a moment to pause and appreciate, but I really like the effect.

1 Like

Nice Nathan. The image has a mysterious component with the obscured waterfall. I agree with taming the brightness of the fore rock. I would do so aggressively to let the lone plant shine.

2 Likes

I really like the way you composed this, Nathan. As mentioned, the bright area in the bottom left & center is somewhat overwhelming. I tried to work with that but was unsuccessful but I think someone more skilled than I might be able to overcome that problem. For my tastes, the shadows in the foreground center and right could be opened a bit while keeping the dark area on the left completely darkened and this would help the image. I also worked on the bright spot at the bottom of the falls and I was able to darken that just a wee bit.

Original:

Another option:

1 Like

I like this a lot.

Like others, I noticed the bright rocks first. I also find the plant to be a distraction. It demands to be the center of attention IMO.

Here is my take on a B&W version with a crop and cloning out the rocks and plant.

Since color draws attention, in this image, to the corners of the frame, I think it’s stronger as a B&W.

1 Like