Breaking Fog -Same Place, Different Day

This is a morning ritual from now until the first of February when the water temps subside enough to cancel out the lake fog effect. This morning it was more a heavy mist than “fog,” per se and burned off rather quickly but in its haste created this nice, clear to mist scene.

Specific Feedback Requested

The crop is always problematic when making these off my back deck shots. Too little foreground with nothing dramatic in the sky is boring and too much foreground with nothing in particular exciting in the foreground, equally boring. I went with the cloud reflections creating a somewhat interesting lead in to the scene rather than the boring sky. Also wonder if I should crop more on the right to “mimic” the shape of the Island in the Mist and then tighten up a bit more on the left.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, 28-300 @ 135mm, f/11, 1/640, ISO 160

(I tend to shoot higher shutter speeds to offset a shakiness due to my diabetes, when off tripod)

TK darks and lights Masks, work in each of the channels as you will see in the post image as well as some cloning and cropping.

Gorgeous!! Thanks for showing the adjustment work!

I wouldn’t change a thing. (Well, maybe a bit more saturation…?) I love the placement in the frame of the misty trees in the distance. If I had this view from my back deck I’d never get anything done!

1 Like

I agree with Diane. This is a super image. The counterpoint between the sunlit island and the foggy one is really well done.

1 Like

Looks great. Sorry to hear you had to travel all the way to your back deck to get this, but it was well worth the effort! :smiley: No suggestions here.

1 Like

@Igor_Doncov @Harley_Goldman @Diane_Miller
It’s rough and while 90% of the time, the back deck is nothing but joy but when the Polar Express winds its way down to me, I’ll get 35-50mph winds with a temp in the teens and I gotta tell you, that’s right cold. Below zero is not out of the question, nor is snow. I live in NW Florida, or Lower Alabama as it is commonly referred.