Broken

I’ve been fortunate to make two trips to Iqaluit, Nunavut, and wander the surrounding tundra. It is rock-filled, including many large glacial erratics, and the vegetation is knee deep, filled with flowers, insects and two foot tall trees that can easily be older than I am. All of it kept me busy seeing and photographing but the rocks, oh they were mind bogglingly beautiful. This was a rock that had split into several pieces and begged to be processed as an abstract by pushing the exposure of the areas in the cracks into blackness.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Minolta, 1/500, f/8.5, 50mm, ISO100 with adjustments to tone curves in LR

4 Likes

Another wonderful abstract image John! The gold light areas remind me of molten lava. The shapes really stand out against the dark surrounding. Great job pushing the exposure of the cracked areas into darkness which help elevate the lighter shapes and colors.

May I suggest a slight crop on the right to help balance the image a bit more? Currently, it feels a little heavy on the left side and you have that big dark area in the lower left side. Either way, great eye and fantastic image!

Striking abstract John. Grabbed my attention and then I was trying to figure out which elements were in the foreground. The shadows or the yellow parts. I agree with Alfredo re the crop. Other than that everything looks great.

Wonderful abstract with great detail in the gold, John. Love finding this type of image, so many possibilities. Great choice of post processing.

Now this is a first class abstract. Simple and bold in design, it has an immediate impact. This is an image that carries you off on thoughts and memories ( and thankfully doesn’t invite comparisons “this looks like a ….”).

YES! I am thankful too. I always refuse to play that one.

1 Like

Very graphical, John. Well done!

John,

Bold! Graphic and most certainly abstract! Here’s a case where the detail-less darkness is an asset and of course defintes the graphic nature, as well as bringing mystery and intrigue.

Can’t offer any suggestions nor any nitpicks. Well done!

Lon