Brothers

Two juvenile male Impala fixed a gaze on me just a split second before I pressed the shutter. After the shot we just stayed still and looked at each other. They eventually went back to grazing and I went back with a memorable experience. Botswana, September 2021.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback. I did some cloning of dark areas in the background to make it more uniform.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II, Olympus 300mm Zuiko pro lens, 1.4 teleconverter, ISO 640, f/5.6, 1/1600

@BillReichphoto
1 Like

Bill, fine double portrait where the green branch really adds to the total. It looks shot in hard light, which blows out the white parts of the sunlit skin a bit. Underexposing would have helped with this and then you could pull up the shadows and/or blacks afterwards in Lightroom a bit. In any case decidedly a nice pose of the impalas!

Grt, Ingrid.

Nice capture Bill, I agree with Ingrid about the hard light, on my monitor the faces do look a tad over-exposed, but I think that it should be fixable.
Shame that you lost the left eye on the one behind, but I well know that these moments happen quickly and composition has to be grabbed fast before everything is gone!

Ingrid, Thank you very much for your comments and pointers regarding this image. You are right that this shot was taken from a landrover in harsh afternoon light. It was difficult to control the exposure, but I could have reduced the exposure. Thank you, Bill

Ryan, Thank you for your thoughts about this image. I remember the moment and lots happening at once. I was concentrating on trying to capture the gaze of these two Impalas before the moment was lost. With your suggestion, I’ll take another swipe at correcting some of the overexposure in post. Thanks again, Bill