Brown Thrasher-with Repost

Have not seen this species before but it likes suet cakes and returns often now. I removed the suet cage .

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5dsr at f-8, 1/320 sec. and iso of 3200.

elwise44

RePost to clean up area under the bird where the suet cage was cloned out.

Lovely bird Wayne and I like the profile you caught. Details look good. The background is a bit busy for my taste especially the branch coming above and below the bird’s head. I think you might try backing down on the saturation some as I think the reddish in the thrasher is a bit overdone. Still, a fine catch of a real beauty.

It’s a nice bird to get in the frame. I wish the bird was a bit higher in the frame as the space above doesn’t add to the story. To bad about the part of the branch coming out of the bird, but can’t help that much. The cleanup of the suet feeder left some odd patterns and also intruded into the branch at the bottom. I’m more concerned about the overall saturation which feels too high. I took this image to PS, created a TK Sat 1 mask to see the most saturated colors and then decreased the saturation by quite a bit to tame them. It also brought down the saturation on the plumage. Sharpness is fair, but not as good as I would have expected, but maybe that is a post processing issue, not an in camera issue.

Thanks Keith, for some reason your picture did not load completely. Thanks Allen, I will try to tone down the saturation.

Hmm… Looks like it is all there when I look at it and I can enlarge it as well. Maybe try again and if it still fails, empty the cache for your browser.

A nice pose from the Thrasher, Wayne. It’s largely a matter of taste, but I think you could get more impactful images if you simplified your setups a bit. On mine, I try to keep the perches more or less in a plane parallel with my sensor. Branches sticking to the front or rear always seem to create problems like the ones coming out of the Thrashers back and head in this image. While they are really cool pieces of wood our eyes just don’t see things the way a camera does.

Really a nice pose John. It is not a bird I am familiar with but I do like the colors of Keith’s repost better. Good suggestion from Dennis about your set up. You really draw in some nice birds and a simpler set up would help make them stand out. The eye looks very sharp to me.

Thanks to all, I will try to incorporate all of your suggestions. From the beginning I was not thrilled with the BG of this photo but wanted to show off the bird. Again, I understand and appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Wayne