Building Up to Something

As suggested, here is a possible version of the square crop. Let me know what you think.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was fascinated by the correspondence between the leading edge of the building thunderhead compared to the trailing edge of the higher cirrus clouds. I know this storm built up to a pretty good thunderstorm over that evening; I got a couple shots of lightning later on.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome. Is the section of blue sky too centered? I did get a couple other shots with it placed a little more pleasingly to the side, but then there’s a house roof in the shot, too. I could potentially crop a little from the top and right.

Technical Details

Canon T1i, ISO 200, f 16, 1/125, 24 mm; slight denoise with On1 NoNoise.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

[wrap=template key=“critique”]

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Denise, I think the nearly 50:50 split of thunderhead/cirrus looks good. It also help to emphasize the clear area along the storm’s edge. The rumpled and darker areas in the storm contrast well with the lighter blues in the cirrus. A version where the storm occupies maybe 3/4 of the frame could be interesting as well.

Nice catch - it’s good to have one’s head in the clouds now and then to notice this type of phenomena. That strip of blue between the two types of clouds works quite well here and I really like how well you controlled the highlights in that very leading edge. Sweet.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I like how the oncoming storm clouds seem to be pushing the more sedate cirrus clouds out of the picture. With this composition you know those storm clouds will soon dominate the entire image.

This is very cool, Barbara. I really like the juxtaposition of the two sets of clouds. Since you asked about alternative crops, I could see a square or nearly square presentation to create a classic yin-yang appearance.

Looks like a big bully storm shoving the rather meek cloud out of the way. I like @Dennis_Plank crop suggestion of yin-yang appearance. Well seen and well processed.