Bummer: Raining and no Lunch

A few times a year a Sharp-shinned Hawk (which I think this is) or a Cooper’s Hawk lands on the bird feeder looking for a stray bird. So far, no luck that I’ve witnessed. Taken through a window.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/200 at f6.3, -2/3 EV, ISO 800

2 Likes

Good details in the hawk and I like his head turn. Standing on one foot is always a plus. The background suits the image well. Nicely done.

Btw, I, too believe it is a Sharp-shinned.

1 Like

Allen, you captured very nice details in this hawk. The shutter speed was right to get the rain drops falling too. I like the head turn he gave you. I wouldn’t want one of our little birds to be in danger, but I sure would like to have one land on our pole so I could get a shot like this. Nice.

1 Like

Sharp shinned Hawk’s are really fun but there really skittish. You are smart to leave the window closed when he took this image. Nicely composed looks great for shooting through a window. I like the eye contact.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen. I love the head turn. Looks like a juvenile Sharp-shinned to me. We usually get juvies of this and/or Coopers on the feeding station around mid-August after they’re separated from their parents and are looking for an “easy” meal. They don’t usually have much luck. We had one three or four years ago that must have figured it out because it’s been coming back regularly as an adult and is pretty complacent about my presence with the camera.

1 Like

Very cool to have him so close, and impressive IQ for shooting through glass! He does look a little forlorn.

1 Like