Burnt Sally

Sometimes fire is used to clear lots for building and the one my house sits on is no exception. A few trees and stumps still show signs of charring so when I found this seedling rising out of one, I went get the macro gear. It’s such a cute wee thing. I seem to recall wrangling the tripod for quite a while before finding a composition that felt right. Good leaf separation & angle of the stem. Did some clean up to remove distractions on the log like fallen pine needles & seeds.

It reminds me that life will find a way. Even against terrible odds, it persists, insists and can exploit the smallest foothold.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that would strengthen this shot. I haven’t reprocessed it for this submission, but I have no problem at giving it a go in Ps or in Lr for additional improvements.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix GH3
Vintage OM 90mm f/2 macro (used with adapter)
Probably f/8 or 11 | 3.2 sec | ISO 125
Tripod and possibly a polarizer, but this is from 2015 so I can’t recall - possibly a diffuser as well.
The old lenses will meter fine, but because there is extra distance created by the adapter, I find that with this macro lens I need to overexpose a stop or more depending on the subject.

Intensely processed in Lr to preserve the dark tones of the burned log. Also darkened down the leaves with a combination of green channel luminance & local adjustment brush. There might be a slight vignette on it. Sharpening & NR (just a little). Square crop. Boosted clarity, too.

@the.wire.smith

Hi Kris, this is a great example of nature moving on in the face of adversity. I volunteer at a local wildlife refuge and they actually do controlled burns every few years to “refresh” certain habitats. Also, there are certain types of pine trees that need fire to pop their cones for reseeding. That little guy really stands out among the charred ruins of the fire. I think the composition really works well; the seedling is in a good spot and right next to a piece of burned wood that is also in focus, with a background that doesn’t intrude. As for further edits I would probably like to see the BG a bit brighter, but that would be a personal preference and not to everyone’s taste.

1 Like

Kris, a great look at nature’s resilience. That little green seedling stands out very well from the dark/burned bark. The green against dark visually tells your story well.

1 Like