Can you hear me now?

Image Description

This flicker was drumming on the electrical box hoping a female would be impressed by the loud noise. They also like to drum on the flashing of our roof. I thought it was a decent view of the flicker; too bad it was in an unnatural setting.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was thinking of the Human and Fauna gallery when I took this. Fairly heavily cropped to emphasize the flicker, so the nature of the man-made object is not as obvious.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm. 1/1000 at f7.1; ISO 1000

They are such striking birds and this pose and the strong presence of the blank area below him make this a striking photo of one. If you wanted to take the minimalism up a notch you could clone out the grasses behind him. It’s pretty funny when they hammer on non wood. Was fair lady duly impressed?

Thanks, @_Kris . Didn’t see the female. It’s hard to get close to these flickers, they fly off at the first sight of me, so it was a bit ironic to get this guy fairly close-up in such a setting. I thought about the grass, but in the end I liked it there.

Ah, Flickers. We have one that ratatatats on the flashing of our chimney every year…most often before dawn. :slightly_smiling_face:

I like the pose of this one, Allen. Nice catch…I might crop some off the bottom to give the bird a bit more grounding, but that’s a nit. Well done.

1 Like

Very cool. Allen. If you’re lucky maybe you can catch him drumming on it. Image quality is excellent. It looks like the box takes up just slightly more than half the image and I wonder what it would look like split exactly?

Ours are quite skittish as well.

1 Like

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank for the EP. Now that I see the thumbnail, I agree the box takes up too much of the frame, but originally I didn’t want to remove too much as the box was part of the story.