Cape Floral Kingdom

The wildflowers in South Africa’s Western Cape Province were especially spectacular this year, and we hit it perfectly the first week of September. I found it difficult to photograph the dazzling panoramas of wildflowers. While the colors were wonderful, and I got a host of images of them, it was hard to get a focal point to make an image interesting and something besides just being a “pretty picture.” I gave it a try with this dirt track through a field.

Specific Feedback Requested

How do you make an image stand out when you have an uninterrupted scene of rolling land covered in wildflowers all the way to the horizon?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony a1, Sony 24-70mm @ 24mm, f/18 @ 1/640th, ISO 800.

bellbirdphoto

Here is an example of a scene of just flowers, with no particular point of focus.

I love the road image Charles - a classic example of composition with leading lines, though in this case they don’t lead to anything specific, and I think that’s ok because I think the composition successfully emphasizes the impressive size of the field of flowers.

I know what you mean about finding a focal point. It can be difficult in this kind of situation. But I do think your second image works, because I think a compelling image is one that imparts a feeling, and one that draws the viewer’s eye someplace (rather than leaving them wondering what to focus on). In this case, by leaving the horizon near the top of the frame, the viewer’s eye is drawn there (the horizon is essentially the point of focus), again emphasizing the enormity of the field of flowers. So, it’s just my opinion, but I think that’s a fine image too. Nice job!

Thanks very much, Mark. This is a very helpful explanation. The horizon as a focal point in this instance is something I had not considered. Your comments will serve me well in a couple of weeks when I try my hand at the fall colors in Maine!