Carolina Wren

If I had to choose one food to feed winter birds, it would be raw peanuts. I don’t know a bird that doesn’t love them, and they are high in fat content, giving these little birds energy to fight the cold weather. I have read discussion indicating raw peanuts may not be healthy for birds. What’s your opinion?

Technical Details

Composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom, f/8, 1/2000 sec., ISO 500, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, cropping, sharpness, and NR. Topaz De-noise also lightly applied.

1 Like

I Googled “wild birds raw peanuts” and pretty much got only several hits from companies selling peanuts for wild birds. I would think if they are bad, I wouldn’t have gotten a flood of selling hits. However, curious about any official references on this.

I did find this from Chewy when I added “unhealthy”.

Are Peanuts Safe For Birds?

Read the entire, brief article, but
Highlights:

• Donna Muscarella, Ph.D. at the Dept. of Microbiology and Immunology of Cornell University’s Veterinary Medical Center
  • Pick Quality Peanut Products
  • Make sure your own storage conditions (particularly in warm, humid climates) are carefully maintained for all bird food. (avoiding mold in large part)
  • Dr. Noah Abou-Madi, a senior lecturer and veterinarian in the exotic animal program at the Companion Animal Hospital at Cornell, pointed out that other nuts, such as almonds and nut butters, may be preferable to peanuts and should be considered as well.

Hi Terry! I Googled : 'should you feed peanuts to birds" there’s a ton of info. The us bird and wildlife service came up, birds and blooms, rsp.org.uk, the spruce, to name a few. I read through a few of these and here’s my takeaway : 1) don’t feed peanuts to parrots! So if you have any parrot visitors in the middle of winter, hide the peanuts! 2) make sure the peanuts are fresh because it’s a nut that easily forms mold. It looks to me like the way you present them to the birds they don’t sit around long! 3) only do it in autumn and winter, because once they start having babies they could possibly bring them back to the baby birds who can’t digest them properly. And 4) which is along the lines of 2, use dry roasted, no salt peanuts or in shell peanuts and store in a cool dry place. To me that goes a long with the developing mold problem which is very toxic.
I can see why people are confused about this, because depending on when you do it, how you do it, and who you’re feeding them to the answer can be yes or no!
Hope that was helpful and now I’m going to buy some roasted peanuts when I go shopping! :slight_smile:
And, oh yeah, I almost forgot! You captured your Wren beautifully! I love Wrens, they’re so adorable.

@BrettOssman @vanessa Thanks for responding. I read pretty much what you guys read, but this statement is what concerned me: Others point out that raw peanuts could be harmful and contain trypsin inhibitors (which may cause kidney and pancreas damage) in birds. (Timothy Martinez).
I had never heard of this before.

@vanessa Thanks, Vanessa. I think Wrens are really cute, too.

1 Like

So then I would go with roasted or in shell like the US fish and wildlife service says, to be safe.

Yeah, but I’m sittin’ on 40 lbs. of raw peanuts! :laughing:

Can you roast them?! :grinning:

I mentioned that to my wife and, although she fully supports my bird feeding habit and my photography, she wasn’t keen about roasting 40 lbs. of peanuts in her oven! :joy:

1 Like

I guess as long as they are stored in a cool dry place, like you can even freeze them depending on how fast or slow the birds go through them.

1 Like