Catch of the day, Madison River, Ennis, Montana

Hey all – my first post on this site so I’m not sure how it works, but here goes…

Leica m240, elmarit 16-18-21mm lens…set I think to 16mm, f22.

I had been fly-fishing Montana’s Madison river for the past four days, getting pretty frustrated at my lack of success. Fishing and photography are not so compatible, as the best times for both are late in the day. I finally decided to set my rod down and try my luck with the camera. The challenge with this composition was the sun was in one place, and the river led your eye to another. To try to balance the image, I decided to include the sunlit grass on the right side of the frame. I’m not sure how successful it was, but I was more happy with this image than I was with the 10 inch trout I had caught earlier that day. f22 and the sun just dipping at the horizon enabled the long legs on the sunstar. Hope you like it.

Please list any pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

2 Likes

Hi Joe,
Like the image , probably because I also like fishing clear streams and photography as the landscapes that support former usually translate well into supporting the latter as well.
There is an object in the right part of the photo which I cannot discern as to what it might be - is it some sort of a sign post or something ? You might want to edit it out for to give the image a bit more of a wild and unspoiled look :slight_smile:

Good eyes! I thought that was a rock at first, but when zoomed in 3:1 in Lightroom to see that yes, there is a sign of some sort there. I also tried to delete the trunk of a dead tree but couldn’t get a satisfactory result in lightroom spot removal. I need to learn photoshop masking for those things I guess…

Too many signs everywhere , if you ask me Joe. Is this a bear country - it could be a beware of the bears sign :slight_smile: ?

Hi Joe,

Hey, welcome to NPN! A terrific first post. Great sunstar and sky/clouds and the light striking the grasses is lovely

I probably would, I know I would, be an avid fisherman if it weren’t for photography. Every fall I tell myself I should bring my fishing gear when I head to the Eastern Sierra for fall color. Alas I never do cause of the conflict. I get it. But so glad you managed to put down the fly rod and capture this on camera!

So this is new and we’re glad to have you here. Just thought I would mention, ask, if you’re interested in more detailed feedback and/or constructive criticism, check out the “Critique Galleries” where folks are more likely to provide that feedback. The Showcase galleries are more for those just wanting to share or specifically don’t want feedback. The choice is your - and sometimes we members forget the distinction between the two, but we try. :smile:

Feel free to ask any questions. We look forward to more images and your participation.

Welcome!

Back
Forward