Cave Creek Canyon

Morning sunlight comes under the storm clouds from the previous night to highlight the walls and plains at the entrance to Cave Creek Canyon, near the town of Portal, in the Chiricahua Mountains. The locals consider this their Yosemite.

EF 28-70mm @ 42mm; f/ 16 @ 1/40 sec, -0.67 EV, ISO 100

8 Likes

Quite a scenic image Bob. Makes me wish there were some horses grazing field. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Thank you Linda. Perhaps the image below will assuage your longing for some horses in the field. I made this about three hours later and a bit south yet still featuring Portal Peak in the Chiricahua Mountains.

2 Likes

You captured some beautiful light here. Well done.

Thank you Allen. I spent a couple of days in the canyon working and waiting for the light and other conditions to be as good as I could hope.

Great Artwork so reminiscent of early West paintings that i was expecting to see some pioneer explorers looking in the distance with their rifles hanging of their shoulders

Thank you Ismar. I’m afraid what you would have encountered would have been Apache Indians, either chasing or being chased by Pony Soldiers.

Stunning colors. Love the horses. Have wanted photograph wild horses.

Thank you Todd. You can find wild horses in many states in the US, including some on the East, not just the Wild West. Search for “Wild horses in the US.” You might find some near you.

1 Like

Hi Bob,

We have several areas in Colorado for wild horses. I just need the time to go… One area is about 3 hrs from me and the other 5 hrs. Planning some fall trips this year, so fingers crossed.

Best of luck, Todd—good light and stunning views.