Chasing Dragons

I watched this silly Green Heron stalking several different dragonflies until he zeroed in on one and literally, in a flash of a second, BAM! One less dragonfly - but for that moment, I was changing a camera setting and missed the snag. Oh well, still a fun shot.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, 200-500 @500mm, f/5.6, !/2500, ISO 500

2 Likes

Interesting image, Chris. Given their habitat, I should have guessed that dragonflies would be on the menu, but I never thought of it.

1 Like

Hi Chris
This is a very interesting photograph, like Dennis I would not thought of Herons eating dragonfly.
The photo you gave us, really shows how interested the Green Heron is, with this dragonfly. The eye contact, color and detail are great. I think the stump is a little bright and takes away from the overall quality of this photograph.
Peter

I had already knocked in down 1/2 in value. More drew attention to the stump and away from the heron and dragonfly so I brightened the dragonfly to offset the darkening of the stump.

1 Like

Another Wow! The Heron must have been in lizard mode to snag the dragonfly! You came close enough to the decisive moment. I do think the RP is an improvement.

1 Like

What a fine capture of a moment. To my eye, the background stuff very nicely out of focus so as not to interfere with my eye. What drama!

1 Like